Tuesday, May 3, 2011

123/365 If you really knew me PT II

Several years ago my friend's neighbor was trying to get rid of a piano. I talked my husband (and her husband) into bringing me this free piano. They got it here in one piece and did I mention it was free? It is very unique and in lovely condition (not that you can really see all of that in the picture) It is customary to tune your piano annually and they paste their business card inside the piano cover. You can imagine my surprise when I opened the cabinet to find a business card from Mr. Mingo's Music Center.

I practically grew up in Mr. Mingo's Music Center, my grandmother worked there as long as I can remember and retired from there - twice. I believe that things are meant to be, and that this piano was destined to be mine. I lost my grandmother, who was much more like parent and pretty much raised me, several years ago. I think of her every day. She showed me the joy and magic of music, and music through her eyes and ears was simply magical. It tied us together.



If you really knew me you would know that I play the flute, piccolo, clarinet, and piano; that I was in the marching band and went to band camp for years - years before anyone knew there was a band camp

If you really really knew me you would know that for me music is akin to oxygen and water; that I love everything from Gaga to Garth Brooks, Mozart to Metallica - with a little Usher and Ke$ha mixed in; and that I would never make it on American Idol but I sing with reckless abandon and no longer care about being "caught"

If you really really really knew me you would know that I mark all of life's occasions by music, that songs and melodies run through my mind continuously, that I think not having music would mean the end of the world. You would know that my top favorite songs/soundtrack of my life (today) in no particular order are: The Story: Brandi Carlile, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress:Judy Collins, Amazing Grace, Let It Be:Across the Universe Soundtrack Version; Unchained Melody:Righteous Brothers.

Mostly though if you really really really really knew me you would know that music has tied me to the most important people and moments in my life, and had the strength to get me out of bed and back to life after I pretty much thought life was no longer worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment