Thursday, March 3, 2011

62/365 "Dutch Apple"

These dishes are Franciscan Apple Pattern. However my whole life I have heard them called Dutch Apple. These dishes belonged to my grandmother, who gave them to me. As a young woman my grandmother and her sisters received various patterns of Franciscan - there is a wide variety most common is the Dessert Rose. Over the years I have been able to add to the collection, some new things new to the set, sometimes replacing something I might have broken as a child =). They now live in the same china hutch I remember as a child now that my grand mother has passed away.

I was very very lucky that my grandmother was willing to give up a significant part of her retirement to raise me. When I was a kid all of the dishes were stored in the lower part of the cabinet, but now I display them and use them - as often as I can. They remind me of her, I like having them out to enjoy, and keep her close in my heart and memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment